NHTSA Regional Offices



Question mark My motor vehicle has a safety defect. Who do I contact?

To report a problem involving automobile safety defects, go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ or call toll-free the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236. Written correspondence should be addressed to the Associate Administrator for Safety Assurance NSA-10, NHTSA HQ, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20590

Question mark Where can I get more information about the airbags in my car?

Visit http://www.safercar.gov
and http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/airbags.html

Question markI need help installing my child safety seat? Who should I call?

To find a Child Passenger Safety Technician willing to help near you, visit:

Question mark
Where do I find out if my vehicle or equipment such as a child safety seat has been recalled?

Visit http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recall_links.html or call the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236.

Question mark
How can I get brochures/booklets/pamphlets on various traffic safety issues?

These materials can be requested online from the NHTSA Publications Catalog at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outreach/media/catalog/Index.cfm

Question mark
I am getting ready to buy a new or used car, how do I find out how safe it is?

For information on buying a safer car, see NHTSA's rating tables at: http://www.safercar.gov/

Question mark
I have a problem with a car purchased from a local dealer. What can I do?

First, try to work out the problem with the local dealer. If the problem is not resolved, contact the manufacturer's regional or national office. Ask for the consumer affairs office. If unsuccessful, consider using an automotive dispute resolutions programs. Three examples of such programs are the Automotive Consumer Action Program (AUTOCAP) conducted by many State Automobile Dealers Associations, the Center for Auto Safety (CAS) at http://www.autosafety.org, and the Better Business Bureaus (BBB) Auto Line at http://www.bbb.org (Information courtesy of the Consumer Action Handbook)

Question mark
I want to import a vehicle. What do I need to know?

Information is available at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Question mark
I wish to manufacture a new device I designed for safer automobile driving. Who do I contact?

Contact the NHTSA Office of Chief Counsel Rulemaking Division at (202) 366-2992 on the legal use of a new device or get more information at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/

Question mark
I am starting a trailer manufacturing business. How do I get VINs and manufacturer ID numbers?

Go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/ or call (202) 366-5302

Question mark
I would like to report a hazardous road condition on an interstate or other roadway. Who do I call?

Contact your State Highway Dept http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/webstate.htm or the Division Office of the Federal Highway Administration. To find the FHWA field office near you, go to http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/field.html#fieldsites

Question mark
I am an over-the-road truck driver and just got a conviction for speeding. How will that affect my commercial driver's license?

The Motor Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act (MCSIA) of 1999 requires each state to report all traffic convictions to the licensing state, and for the licensing state to record the information on the driver history of that driver. If the conviction is for an offense specified in the Federal Motor Carrier Regulations-FMCSRs (49 CFR 383.5 Serious traffic violation or 49 CFR 383.51 Disqualification of drivers) then the federal regulations specify what type of driver license suspension action must be taken. If the conviction is for an offense not specified in the FMCSRs, the state’s normal procedures are followed, e.g., most states assign points which determine if a driver license suspension will be initiated. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is conducting reviews of all states to be sure they are following these procedures. For more information, contact the Motor Carrier Safety field office nearest to you: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov

Question mark
Who is required to have a US DOT number, and where can it be obtained?

Every self-propelled commercial motor vehicle operated in interstate commerce and meets at least one of the following criteria is required to have a USDOT number:

  • has a gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle or combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater

  • is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation

  • is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and not used to transport passengers for compensation

  • is used in transporting a quantity of Hazardous Materials requiring placarding

A US DOT number can obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration by calling (800) 832-5660 or from FMCSA's web site at: http//:www.safersys.org

Question mark
I am from a TV station/radio station/newspaper agency. Where can I get information on a particular media topic?

News releases and other helpful information from the NHTSA Public and Consumer Affairs Office is at

Question mark
Are you the NTSB?

No, we are not the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). The NTSB's Web site is at
http://www.ntsb.gov/ or they can be contacted by calling (202) 314-6000.

Question mark
Where can I obtain telephone numbers for the road conditions for a State?

Generally, road condition reports are provided by the State Department of Transportation or the State Highway Patrol. For a listing of telephone numbers for all states, go to
http://www.usroadconditions.com/  or http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/